Are you passionate about social justice? Are you looking for a meaningful experience that will allow you to make a difference in the lives of those who are voiceless? If so, then join our team at the Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) as a Marketing & Communications Intern in the Fund Development department. We are looking for driven and creative individuals to assist with content creation, blogging, storytelling, research, social media management, fundraising, and event planning.
Our ideal candidate is an energetic, enthusiastic go-getter who is self-motivated and can work independently with minimal supervision. We will provide training, mentoring, and a variety of hands-on opportunities. This person should work well in a fast-paced environment and can jump head first into projects. If you have a can-do attitude and are willing to learn through constructive criticism in a collaborative environment, then this opportunity is for you.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general support to the Fund Development team by writing blog articles, creating marketing materials, producing effective communications on the Legal Aid website, developing outreach materials, writing press releases, managing Legal Aid’s various social media accounts, and more.
- Conduct research to develop marketing strategies to improve fundraising efforts and to promote LASOC services, programs, and events.
- Assist in promoting, organizing, and coordinating events and fundraisers such as the LEAP Summer Fireside Talks, the Voices for Justice Dinner & Fundraiser, and the Great Wine Festival.
- Assist with managing LASOC’s marketing database.
- Optimize all efforts to continually improve processes, approaches, and metrics within the Fund Development department.
Desired skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Creative and forward thinking
- Tech savvy
- Social media/networking website user
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and programs
- Exceptional writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Research and competitive analysis
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Customer service and good phone etiquette
- A proactive and positive approach to all assignments
- Ability to work independently as an energetic self-starter
- Results and action oriented and can be counted on to meet or exceed goals successfully
- Ability to manage office priorities and to multitask and adjust quickly to new assignments and priorities
- Photography skills a plus
- Experience with Adobe Suite programs a plus (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and InDesign)
- Relevant degree/experience or currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Able to work 12 – 20 hours a week for 3 months (start and end dates are flexible) at the LASOC Santa Ana office
- Access to transportation
- Gain hands-on experience in nonprofit communications and development work
- Increase and improve professional writing, editing, and research skills
- Expand understanding of issues and areas of need affecting the low-income community
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and any writing or marketing samples to email@example.com and fill out our online application for this position here. This is an unpaid internship and can be applied towards school credit.
About the Legal Aid Society of Orange County
The Legal Aid Society of Orange County is a non-profit organization that provides civil legal aid services to our community’s most vulnerable populations: veterans, the elderly, families, and low-income individuals. The organization has spread its services – advocacy, legal counseling, community education, and legal representation – throughout Orange County and southeast Los Angeles, where over 730,000 client-eligible people reside. Last year, LASOC assisted 114,000 households, which equates to over 33 families a day. Join us to help us promote equal access to justice for all.