The Orange County Senior Citizens Legal Advocacy Program (SCLAP) provides free, courteous, high-quality legal services to residents age 60 and over.
You can request legal assistance by calling the Legal Aid Hotline or by making an appointment at one of the senior centers, located throughout Orange County, that we visit once each month. You can also view or download one of our Fact Sheets.
The Seniors Program provides legal advice on a wide variety of issues:
- Government Benefits – Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Health – Medicare, Medi-Cal, HMO and Nursing Home issues
- Housing – Landlord-tenant, eviction defense, mobile homes, and board & care issues
- Consumer Problems – contracts and debt collection defenses
- Elder Abuse – financial and personal
The Seniors Program provides representation in the areas of
- Government Benefits
- Consumer problems
- Elder Abuse, and
- Other areas, to the extent our resources allow, when a senior has a serious, pressing need.
There are some legal matters in which SCLAP does not offer representation:
- Criminal Cases
- Class Action Lawsuits
- Drafting wills and trusts
- Cases in which you want to sue for money
If we determine that we cannot assist you with your particular issue, we will attempt to refer you to an appropriate agency or organization. We can also refer you for a free initial case evaluation with a private attorney through our Lawyer Referral Service.