POSITION: Paralegal position (Litigation Unit)
SUPERVISOR: Litigation Unit Attorneys
WAGE RANGE: $33,547 to $50,709 depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time 35-hour work week, hourly, non-exempt
Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services (CLS). LASOC seeks an experienced, energetic, motivated, personable and effective Paralegal to be part of the Santa Ana Litigation Unit. LASOC handles legal problems in a wide range of civil areas including, but not limited to, family law, housing, government benefits, consumer, health and education. Under the supervision of an attorney, the paralegal will interview clients, maintain client files, prepare legal forms, pleadings, other writings in connection with trials, settlements, and other legal proceedings and represent clients at administrative hearings.
Essential Job Duties
- Conducting Initial interview with client, including fact gathering, determining the nature of the case and what the client wants and maintaining client files;
- Handle increasingly complex matters involved in legal proceedings including negotiation, and representing clients in administrative hearings;
- Preparation of legal forms, applications, affidavits, petitions and other writings in connection with trials, settlements and other legal proceedings;
- Observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship;
- Maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems, as needed;
- Assist Litigation unit with motions, discovery, evidence binders, and other Federal Civil Procedure;;
- Occasionally travels outside of the office to community engagement events, educational outreach, and assist with court filings and trials.
Strong technical skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and research tools including Westlaw and LexisNexis is required. The candidate should possess excellent analytical, communication, writing, and organizational skills, and have the ability to manage multiple complex tasks concurrently in a professional and efficient manner. The paralegal should exhibit excellent attention to detail, be a team player, and able to work under pressure.
Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred
Educational and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certificate. Must have one 1 ½ years experience as a paralegal.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: paid holidays; vacation; sick leave; medical/dental insurance, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance; and short-term and long-term disability.
The Legal Aid Society of Orange County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.